‘Cup of Tea Tales’ – A Mixed Bag! School Excursions, Sport, Short Back and Sides and Other Primary School Memories – Harehills C.P. School Adventures.

David’s Bookshelf – Issue One Cup of Tea Tales

  1. David’s Bookshelf – Issue One
  2. ‘Cup of Tea Tales’ – A Lifetime of Global Successes, Disasters and Wonders! Space the Final Frontier.
  3. ‘Cup of Tea Tales’ – Hetchell Woods (Bardsey) and Crags – A Special Piece of God’s Own Country or County! One of my Favourite Places to Visit.
  4. ‘Cup of Tea Tales’ – The Wonderful Yorkshire Dales. Trollers Gill, a Place with a Mysterious Legend and the Hell Hole where I Diced with Death.
  5. ‘Cup of Tea Tales’ – Labs and all Manner of Magic, Misery and Mayhem. What Must have been the Worst job for a New Teacher, Chemistry with Boys with only one Aim, to Make Your Life Hell!

This is a bit of an eclectic collection of primary school memories, but I am sure many of us at school at the time would have enjoyed similar experiences.

I was trying to remember if we had school excursions at Harehills C.P. School and I recalled trips to York and Fountain’s Abbey. My York memories are clearer, as I was naughty and bought something I thought I was not supposed to do. I can only think that one outing a year, in the older classes, was the norm and probably the Fountain’s Abbey one was in Year 3 and York in Year 4.

I have been provided with this photo by Ron Vosk, who is the boy in the cap. It is the Harehills excursion to York. The boy in the middle is one of the Ryan twins (Sapherson) either Paul or Barry.

On the trip to York, we were taken by coach. I can remember the smell of the plastic on the bus and being over-excited, and it didn’t take long for me to feel a little sick. We were told to sit down, remain in our seats and not to leave a mess. The journey wasn’t long, fortunately, and I managed without incident, but I remember at least one child had to have a bin to be sick in. They were too excited, had too many sweets, or suffered from travel sickness. The visit to fabulous York included a walk around Clifford’s Tower, just the outside of course. I used to look up the motte to the keep with envy as fortunate people could be seen on the battlements. As it required an additional fee, we never experienced it. Next was the Castle Museum, and this we did venture into. Some parts of the museum were wonderful. I loved the armour and weapons and the visit to Dick Turpin’s cell. The highwayman was executed there, I believe, which added to my interest. The cell was small and I could only wonder how the man felt during the time he was there. The worst part of the museum was the room after rooms of costumes and uniforms. They seemed to go on forever. I liked the Victorian streets. In the street were shops and you could walk into a sweet shop, a chemist shop and a pub. The shelves and furniture were just as they would have been, the street cobbled, and there were carts and even an old fire engine. The ceiling was black and there was a genuine feeling of being back in time, which I loved. It made a great impression on me. As we left, we went through a mill outside and the enormous millstones were a magnificent sight for a young boy. I have been back many times since then and it is still an amazing museum.

Monks Gate York

After the museum visit, we went on a walk along a section of the medieval city walls, then off to the Shambles and a walk through the Shambles and old shops to the Minster. In those days, there was no charge to enter the Minster, and the building was a truly magnificent sight. We were allowed to do a little shopping and I remember buying a paperback book on English Castles. It is possible that I still have it somewhere. We ate our packed lunch near the river Ouse in the York Museum Gardens and then went on a boat ride past the Bishop’s Palace and Rowntree Park. Having been to York many times since I can’t remember if we went to the Railway Museum or not. Someone else may have a clearer memory. I do remember going into a gift shop just before we boarded the coach and there several of us spent the last of our money and bought sheath knives. They were poorly made ones, with a York crest transferred onto the handle. We had to keep them hidden so as not to attract the attention of the teachers. When I got mine home, I was worried my mother would be cross, but she hardly reacted at all and just told me to be careful with it.

Another outing was to Fountains Abbey. This old Cistercian monastery, near Ripon, is a truly beautiful spot. The coach journey was quite long, but we were all relieved to get off and stretch our legs.  I loved the majestic ruins and gardens. It was living history and even at a young age, I couldn’t help but wonder about the people who had stood in the same spot a thousand years ago. The size of the buildings was striking, and we walked amongst the ruins and learned about how life would have been. Afterwards, we went on a long walk through the Studley Royal water gardens. These lakes and gardens were of less interest to me at this age than the abbey ruins, but now I appreciate how truly magnificent they are. I don’t remember any other Harehills C.P. School trips, but again I could be wrong.

Fountains Abbey

Another lasting memory from these times was having my hair cut. My mother would regularly give me money and tell me to get my hair cut on the way home after school. On the other side of the road from the school, there were a couple of barbers’ shops. There was a definite atmosphere about them. As you entered, you were hit by the smell of Brylcreem and aftershave. There were chairs in front of the window where you waited in turn and the linoleum floor had a carpet of hair that was occasionally swept. If there were men in the shop, the air would have the additional aroma of smoke. Whilst waiting, you would look at the magazines and sometimes find some racy pictures to keep you occupied. The shelves were supplied with all sorts of things for sale that I had no idea about. What were styptic pencils, condoms and why would I want Wilkinson Sword safety razors? It was all an adult male mystery to me.

I used to watch the barber in action. Hair was combed, raised between two fingers, and trimmed with a sharp pair of scissors. This process was continuous, and the fingers were a blur. Somehow, in just a few minutes, an unruly mop of hair would become a well-managed work of art. Water was sprayed from a bottle, a cut-throat razor would appear, sharpened on a leather strop, and the back of the neck would be expertly shaved and cleared of unwanted hair. A soft brush appeared and with a few flicks of the wrist any cut hair was swept away, a mirror was held up, an approval sought and then the covering protecting the customer was whisked off, like a matador at a bullfight, money exchanged and then the barber would turn around and say, ‘Next?’

If I was next, then a plank of wood was laid between the two arms of the chair so that the smaller customers were at a height that meant the barber didn’t have to bend. ‘What will it be?’ To this, there didn’t seem a lot of choice. It was usually short back and sides, or short back and sides with a square neck. I did once try a crew cut, but with my fine hair it wouldn’t stand up like my older brother’s. Anyway, the magic of the comb and scissors was utilised and then the clippers came out. I believe it had the subtlety of a New South Wales sheep shearer, but within a few moments, a mirror was held up for approval. I have no idea what would have happened if I had said I wasn’t happy with something and I wasn’t game to find out. He would ask if you wanted lacquer and if you said yes, you were sprayed with some highly scented liquid that set with a crusty finish to your hair. Out came the brush, two swift flicks and then the apron was unfastened, additional swishes to ensure some hair went down the back of the neck to itch for an eternity, and then a hand reached out to receive payment.

I would leave the shop a squirming mess, but I would look in the shop window reflection to see what sort of fashion statement I made. My mother would check to see that I have been shorn as I entered through our door and nodded her approval, whilst I would still be unable to stop gyrating and removed my shirt and shook it vigorously to remove any remaining hair. Now I would be grateful to have that hair back, but such is the experience of youth that we don’t appreciate what we have until it is gone.

I always enjoyed sport at Harehills. I think it was mainly on a Wednesday afternoon, but I could be wrong. Maybe that was just when I was in Mr Kelly’s Yr.  4A class. Anyway, as the school was devoid of any green space to play, we would wait for two double-decker buses to ferry a host of excited and noisy children to the Soldiers’ Field sports ground. The journey wasn’t more than about ten minutes at most.

As I was thinking about this, I could picture the ride and what we passed on the way. On the City side of the school was the family doctors, Drs. Black, Freeman, Novis and at least one other. Dr Black was a definite first choice. My mother thought the young doctor was lovely and so he became ours whenever possible. It was strange, but many years later, when she had retired, she would babysit for his son’s children. His children then were teenagers and really didn’t require care. Dr Black also makes an appearance as the doctor in Wickergate, my first novel.

A short video of Kirkstall Abbey. Apparently, they are going to start charging visitors for entry. My younger brother makes a cameo appearance.

As the bus left the school, there was a zebra crossing, and directly on the other side of the road was a sweet shop/tobacconist. This was the source of a range of lollies that will form another blog and the source of whip ‘n’ tops, yoyos, skipping ropes and marbles. On the school side, I remember an old-fashioned clothing shop. It ran a little way along the side road and sold Clark’s Shoes and Ladybird children’s clothes. Next to this was the Conservative Club, and above it was Olga Shear’s ballroom. I only went once for dancing lessons when I was about eleven. It seemed very formal and frightening and I never returned after that first go. That probably saved a lot of toes from being trodden on. I remember a large net suspended over the dance floor that was full of balloons. I supposed they released them towards the end of an evening dance, but I never experienced that. Further along on the other side, there was an antique/junk shop, and it was there that my first and only violin was purchased. I believe there was an electrical shop and, back towards the school, a gent’s barbershop.

There originally were three cinemas in Harehills. The Clock Cinema was the biggest and the newest and the building still remains, but there was one in the centre of Harehills, I think where the supermarket was built, called The Harehills and one on the school side, but nearer to the city, called The Gaiety Kinema, but that closed in 1958. It was replaced by a modern, large pub that developed a bad reputation and was later closed down.

On the junction with Harehills Road, there were shops I remembered well. One I believe, was called Frew’s and sold sports gear, and a couple of shops further up was Varley’s, the toy shop where I bought Airfix Kits. Across from these was a pet shop. I loved looking in the window at the animals and next to that was a café that my mum would occasionally take me and my two brothers to.

The bus ride to sport took us past the roundabout that had Easterley Road running off up the hill, but we carried straight on and passed the Astoria Ballroom, then Turnways Garage and next to it was the Olympia Works. Originally, this was an aircraft factory and the Soldiers Field was a landing strip, although when I was a boy it was no longer a factory, but the buildings housed several small workshops and businesses. Behind it up the hill, hidden in the woods, were aircraft shelters, and I explored these with friends. I am sure they have been removed now for safety reasons. The works are now the TESCO supermarket building but there is a blue plaque there.

Oakwood Clock

On our short journey, we passed Gipton Wood on the right and the tram lines ran all along the route, before their removal in the mid-1950s. We passed through Oakwood and turned up by the Oakwood Clock. The road ran next to it then. Just beyond were the Soldiers’ Fields, where the buses stopped and we poured out. Here we played soccer, cricket and I think we did some athletics, but I can’t remember much about it. I do remember one or two cricket matches with other schools, but I don’t think we did a great deal of inter-school sports.

Soccer meant hordes of us chasing a ball around a pitch. The balls were heavy leather, and when wet, weighed a ton. Woe betides anyone who was unlucky, either by design or error, to head a wet ball. If the skull wasn’t fractured, severe concussion was the likely outcome. Soccer boots, for those fortunate to have them, were heavy, solid leather affairs, with leather studs nailed into the sole. The toe caps were large and rounded and allowed little or no control as to the destination of the ball. If you enjoyed running and playing, it was great, but for those less inclined to play sport, it must have been agony, standing, freezing in the cold. When the games session had finished, we all piled back onto the buses and headed back to school, all with different versions of whether it had been an enjoyable experience or not.

Such innocent, happy times.

If you are interested in the paperback versions of my tales then they are available from Amazon and Kindle and in paperback, hardback and eBook formats. The link can be made by clicking on the pictures below.

12 Replies to “‘Cup of Tea Tales’ – A Mixed Bag! School Excursions, Sport, Short Back and Sides and Other Primary School Memories – Harehills C.P. School Adventures.”

  1. In my days at Roundhay (1958 – 1965), in addition to day trips to local historical and geographical attractions, I remember that we also had outings of several days duration (maybe even as many as five days). I seem to recall that we didn’t have any outings during my 6th. form years, but in the 4th. and 5th. years my class went to Alnwick in Northumberland, and Cromer in Norfolk. I remember the latter quite well, as being my first exposure to:

    1) A jukebox – Gary U.S. Bonds (still touring at the age of 82) was singing “New Orleans”,
    2) A pinball machine,
    2) My first under-age pint (I don’t know how we got away with it, but we weren’t wearing shorts and a school cap), and
    3) The opposite sex (or at least the realisation that they existed).


    Virginia, USA.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. My year went to Cromer too, Terry. It was an eye-opening experience for me too. Underage drinking never seemed a problem, and I always looked older which was an advantage for a year or too.


  2. Good memories again! I have a vague memory of Soldier’s Field but can’t remember if I went with the school. Remember Varley’s Toy Shop as I went in a lot to buy toys with my ‘spends’ (I think I used to get 6d off my Dad), doesn’t seem a lot but I could buy an outfit for my Sindy Doll with that, and I remember getting a miniature Dalek. Olga Sheards Ballroom….I used to go on a Saturday morning but only because she used to play the latest Pop songs (i.e. Herman’s Hermits, one of their songs always reminds me of those dance classes!) Harehills Parade had some great shops, I have a vivid memory of a shoe shop nr to Olga Sheard’s place, there were a pair of gold coloured shoes in the window, I wanted them badly but they were probably too expensive for my Mum to buy. The Pet Shop was another of my go to places, but as we lived in flats we weren’t allowed animals, once we moved to the country to a house I made up for lost time and had lots of pets.

    Liked by 1 person

  3. We used the same doctors’ surgery. My mum would jag on the “Don’t say brown, say Hovis” advert with “Don’t say Black, say Novis”.

    Liked by 1 person

  4. You’ve brought back memories again for me David. I went to St. Augustine’s school on Harehills Place, just off Harehills Road between 1958 and 1964. I think this was about the same time you were at Harehills C.P. We too went up to the Soldier’s Fields for soccer and cricket. We actually walked through the streets from Harehills Road down to Roundhay Road with numerous “counts” by the teacher to ensure nobody had been lost and caught the bus outside your school. I totally agree with you about heading the lethal leather footballs, especially if they were wet and also unfortunate to get the lace too. My first pair of soccer boots were hand-me -downs from my older brother and they had leather studs. My first brand new boots were bought for Christmas from James H. Frew’s sports shop at Harehills corner at the end of Harehills Road. The cafe across the road, next to the pet shop, was called the Grill and Griddle The doctors you mentioned, Freeman, Novis and Black were our doctors. Doctor Black was our Doctor too. He was very good, as was Doctor Freeman. However, if you had to see Dr. Novis, he sat with his back to you when you entered and just simply asked “do you want a prescription or a sick note?” before even looking at you. The barbers shop you mentioned was called Joe’s. He had a young lad called Viesh working with him when I used to go there. I also used to go to Danny’s barber shop further down Roundhay Road towards St. Aidan’s church. You probably walked past it many times going to Clayton Hall for your school dinners. Thanks for stirring my memories once again.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. I am delighted that my memories match with yours, Andrew. Grill and Griddle. Gosh now I remember. Joe’s, that sounds right. I am very pleased my tale brought back some good memories. Thank you for getting back to me.


  5. If my dodgy memory serves me correctly, we would have gone to the Railway Museum. I know it wasn’t when I was at Secondary as the Head didn’t go for all that ‘fancy teaching.’ I seem to remember a teacher called Mr Wood that had an interest in trains.

    Liked by 1 person

  6. Wonderfull memories of Roundhay you have brought back to life. I was born and brought up in the Armley area attended Leeds Central High after passing my 11 plus, going into Leeds every day seemed like a new world. In 1969 my family moved to Street Lane which again seemed another change in culture even though I was 23 at the time. I recall a lot of the areas you were discussing. Later on in life I was the Site Manager for the construction of the Tescos on the site of the Olympion Works. I am interested to know what your father did for a living , your childhood seems very middle-class having a car in the 1950s would be very rare. I have been to Perth many times to visit friends who had settled there I never got the sense of any close knit community spirit probably because of the expanse of the place. Great stories sounds like you ask a boy done good from God’s Own County.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Glad that you enjoyed, Francis. My dad was an engineer and worked for Cattons Steel Foundary and was Chief Inspector of Steel Castings for the early part of his carrer. He had been in the submarines on HMS Scotland during the war as Chief Petty Officer and was doing well with his career until his first heart attack at 37 years. I love Perth and it has been one of the best decisions I ever made. Tescos would have been an interesting job.
      Best wishes


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s